Mon, Dec 05, 2005
iCab 3.0 Beta 375
iCab 3.0 beta 375 is another version for registered users only. It offers an interesting new iCab-only feature to highlight anchors for a short time whenever you jump to them with an anchor link (see below). And, after many (too many?) years, the iCab web site has been redesigned.
As always, Alexander's list of changes since beta 371:
- If the user clicks anchor links (#xyz) which scroll the document to a certain location, iCab will show a flashing arrow at the left of the destination anchor so it can be found more easily.
- The default setting for the web cache is now changed so that iCab will always ask the server if the web page has changed. Unfortunately some web sites (Shops) forget to tell the browser that certain web pages (like the shopping basket) must not be cached because they will change all the time, so iCab would have opened this page from the cache showing old or outdated information with the old default setting.
- Network error message slightly redesigned.
- When dragging a file direktly info the Hotlist window, a new item was created with an empty title. Now the default title is set to the file name.
- Absolut positioned elements inside an icorrectly defined table were not processed correctly to calculate the document size.
- The workaround for missing </A> tags from Beta 371 caused som new problems when <A> tags were nested incorrectly.
- Opening web pages through the Services menu did not evaluate the preferences setting to open pages in a new tab/window.
- Some plugins tend to crash when iCab passes the information about their location in the browser window before they get the information about the initial data that should be displayed by the plugin. So iCab passes the information to the plugin in another order now.
- Small modification in InScripts processing of regular expressions, so that also the non-standard usage on some web pages will work in iCab.
- When the "charset" information in the Content-Type header of a web page was not valid, iCab displayed an empty page.
- When the Web Cache was empty, the Cache browser could crash.
- Under MacOSX the local URL "file://localhost/" did not show the correct folder content.
- Scaling down transparent GIF images should look much better now.
- Workaround implemented for SELECT elements which are not closed correctly.
- When a download was aborted because of a server timeout iCab could have stopped the download as if the download was fully finished. Now the downloaded file will keep its "unfnished" state so it's possible to resume the downlaod later.
- The build-in RSS reader will now check if the embeded files are really audio files before adding audio links (for Podcasts). Some pages are using this mechanism also for other file types.
- When searching for some text within a frame page, the found keywords were not always selected.
- WebCams which are using the "server push" technology yould crash iCab.
- New InScript version included where the join() function supports Unicode and where the x/y properties are also supported for IMG elements.
- In Kiosk mode it was possible to close the window.